February 25, 2021
Scammers are taking advantage of widespread anxiety about COVID-19, enticing people to give up their personal data and money with the promise of a vaccine. View this video from The Wall Street Journal.
- You will not need to pay anything out of pocket to get the vaccine during this public health emergency.
- You cannot pay to put your name on a list to get the vaccine.
- You cannot pay to get early access to the vaccine.
- No one from a vaccine distribution site or health care payer, like a private insurance company, will call you asking for your Social Security number or your credit card or bank account information to sign you up to get the vaccine.
- Beware of providers offering other products, treatments, or medicines to prevent the virus. Check with your health care provider before paying for or receiving any COVID-19-related treatment.
- If you get a call, text, email — or even someone knocking on your door — claiming they can get you early access to the vaccine, STOP. That’s a scam.
If you experience suspected fraudulent calls, texts, emails, etc. contact the Ohio SMP at 1-800-488-6070 option 7, use the “Report Fraud” button on this APP, or click here.
Source: Wall Street Journal