If only scammers posted an ad or told us what they were up to, we would know not to talk to them.
A Scammer’s Ad – Wanted – Personal information
Date of Birth
Primary Care Physician
Social Security Number
But unfortunately they don’t!
Scammers try to reach us in many ways, but the telephone is a favorite.
- If you have caller ID and don’t recognize the number, don’t answer. If it’s important, they will leave a message.
- If you do answer a call hang up if it isn’t someone you know, and don’t press any buttons even if they say it will take you off their call list.
- Medicare will not contact you for your Medicare number or other personal information unless you’ve given them permission in advance.
- Medicare will never call to sell you anything.
- If a caller tells you are eligible for “extra services” with Medicare, they may be looking to move you into a new Medicare plan. Hang up and contact 1 800 Medicare to see what options are available for you.
- If you have given out your Medicare number, contact Ohio SMP 1 800 488-6070. option 7 or (513) 458-5515.